Thursday, August 18, 2011

Day 9: Are we there yet?

Well guys, nine whole days have gone by, and we have accomplished a lot as far as science and avoiding Hurricane Greg. The main events of today were the fire drill and a nice little trip to the mall. The drill included putting on our life vests for all of 10 seconds, only to put them back into our cabins and watch a 20 minute movie on boat safety. I wish we had done this the first day...perhaps it would've calmed my nerves about being on a ship for the first time! After the drill, the chief mate opened up the store locker, and sold us some R/V Melville T-shirts. Now, I have a souvenir to remember this trip forever.

We have four more days left until we reach port. Some of us are anxious to get to dry land that doesn't move 24/7...or maybe that could be just me.

As for science, today Ben (the lead technician) took a few of us on a tour of the lower lab. He showed us the gravimeter, which measures differences in the gravitational force among different places in the world. It's a very old piece of scientific equipment, dating back to the 1960s.Very old stuff.

I also got to launch an XBT today. Wahoo! On a more depressing note, today while launching my first XBT, I experienced a great loss. My old, weathered, Matisse hat decided to descend into the depths of this great ocean. I've had it for a whole year now, and it has endured a lot. I guess the ocean breeze was too much for it. Good bye, old friend.

Until next time!

Mackenzie


No comments:

Post a Comment